[Sca-cooks] re:avocado

Marcha nigsdaughter at satx.rr.com
Tue May 9 13:15:57 PDT 2006

Huette, thank you for words of wisdom and encouragement but my distaste for avocados has nothing to do with how ripe they are or even their taste.  I spent years 8-10 of my life as an Army Brat on Schofield Barracks where my Dad was stationed.  In between our quarters there grew the largest (to my childish eyes) avocado tree in the world.  Everyone shared the bounty.  Trust me avocados in Hawaii are BIG!  There was always a few overripe ones that waited until we kids were running barefoot between quarters to fall off.  Have you ever stepped on an over ripe avocado?  Believe me, the pits hurt!  To this day, nearly 60 years later, I can still feel the greasiness of the avocado and those bleepin' pits.  So it is just a personal thing between me and avocado!  I don't really feel I sacrifice anything for anybody.  It is just not right for me not to fix things for others that I cannot or do not like to eat.
Bertha :)