[Sca-cooks] 30th Year Celebration

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 9 21:54:44 PDT 2006

Anne-Marie replied to my questions about "The Thirty Year Journal of
Acedemic Papers" with:
> Actually, I bet I can track down most of the authors, though the
> original publication is still available (I think?) through the AnTir
> stock clerk. Might be wrong about that...

Oh? I would not have even thought of looking for it there. If that
can be confirmed and I can get the contact info, I'd like to add a
comment about that to any articles I republish, so that if folks like
an article they know where they might find some more they might like.

> The doc did have "issues" though...we were mortified to realize that
> what went to press was actually a very rough draft. Many typos and
> spelling errors and just plain wacky formatting. Doh!

The "doc"? The editor? or you mean this publication? I don't remember
there being that many typos. And yes, I notice those. I think editing
the Florilegium for a number of years may contribute to that. Anyway,
I've seen a number of other SCA publications, including the "Compleat
Anachronism" which have often been much worse. A lot of which could
be fixed by a simple proof-reading.

That is one of the reasons that I'm hoping that if I can reach some
of these authors I can get a copy of their article in electronic
form. If I scan and OCR an article, I'm likely to introduce more
errors and I never seem to get around to doing that and the stuff in
electronic form gets edited first. Another reason is that if the
author submits their article they can correct as well as update it
with the info they've learned since the original publication.

> It would also be interesting to see what ht elevel of research is now,
> 10 years later... :)

Yes, but if we always wait until something is perfect, it never gets
published. An imperfect publication is still of use to those who
aren't as expert as the author and (I like to think that) the
questions, comments and questions that come back to an author from
Florilegium readers help the authors improve their work. My standard
policy is to take updates to previously submitted articles at any time.

> Anyway, if I can be of any help, just let me know.

Okay, I have managed to find my copy of the publication and I will
read through it and make up a list of the authors I would like to get
a hold of. Being flighty as I am, there are still a number of
articles in it that I've not read yet. I sometimes read some articles
in a volume like this, put it down and don't get around to reading
the others. I may find some more pearls in those that I would like to
publish as well.

> I know for sure I can find at least one of the authors (me ;))

Oh! I suspect you may be speaking of "Agricultural Practices During
the Middle Ages - They Cycle of the Seasons and the Tasks Associated
with Them" By Maitresse Anne-Marie d' Alilleurs. This was in fact one
of the articles, if not the one that first put the idea in my mind
that I wanted some of these articles for the Florilegium. It is a
good overview of a topic that wasn't much touched upon ten years ago,
although it had come up a few times on this list by then. The other
concern is that most of the SCA these days, myself included, come
from an urban background and have no real feel for the agricultural
seasons and how they ruled life in the Middle Ages, even if you were
lord and lady and noble.

But who is this "d' Alileurs" person? I don't think I've ever seen
the name before. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas