Chivalry and Supporting your Local Monarch RE: [Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue May 9 22:42:37 PDT 2006

> So, would committing a non-criminal attrocity on an unsuspecting and
> defenseless person, to please one's King . . . be unchivalrous?

/bitter joke
In the East Kingdom? Only the the Peers didn't also support
it!
/bitter joke
There's a bit of a trauma still going on in our kingdom, sort of a Magna
Carta fight, or perhaps a three cornered one. It's hard to tell what
truly is going on, as a good many of each side are there because of
loyalty, or fed-up-ness with the other side's alleged points of view on
unrelated topics, such as loyalty to one's lineage...

>It's those
> vague, vacuous prot-definitions of "chivalrous" that are the bedrock of SCA
> political correctness.  Give me something I can hang my hat on, like
> Courage, Loyalty, Fidelity, Trustworthy, Courtesy, Generosity, Gentleness,
> Compassion Ingenuity, or Love.  Yeah, these have meat you can chew on . . .
> and are all parts of what I consider modern Chivarly for my little world
> view.  All with the big letters . . . not holding a door for someone running
> up to it is not what I mean by Courtesy, though that could be part if it.
> don't tell me someone is unchivarlous; that's a buzz word . . . to my he/she
> was being cowardly, or disloyal to an oath, or mean-spirited to someone
> unable to defend themselves, or dumb as a bag of squirrels.  That we can all
> rally behind.

The trouble is, that there are always at least two sides to the story,
and plenty of people that are willing to see only one side. :)

I tell everyone that I'm a woman without honor, and have been for a
number of years. I just try to be honest and to avoid hurting other
people unnecessarily; sometimes I succeed, many times I fail. The only
thing I hold on to is that political correctness is doing things because
the people around you think they are the right thing to do; doing things
because you think they are the right thing to do may lead you down the
path paved with good intentions, but at least they are your own.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman