[Sca-cooks] OOP-Buttercream Frosting

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed May 10 08:55:10 PDT 2006

Martha Oser wrote:

> Anyone have any great buttercream recipes?  Any tips on technique or
> method that might help me out?  At this point, the bride is voting for
> the more standard butter and/or crisco with powdered sugar, vanilla
> and milk frosting.  I don't have a problem with that, but I'm curious
> about this buttercream thing...

I took the Wilton courses, and they use a much simpler, non-cooked
recipe. Varying the proportion of milk controls the stiffness, from
creamy crumb coat to sculpt-able piping.  Our instructor added that
professional cake companies use a special shortening with an extra-high
melting point for situations like this, but it's not as tasty as half
shortening and half butter.  Up to you, of course.  Here's the official
Wilton recipe:

    * 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
    * 1/2 cup butter or margarine*
    * 1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla
    * 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
    * 2 tablespoons milk**

Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually
add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides
and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will
appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best
results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated
in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip
before using.

YIELD: 3 cups

*Substitute all-vegetable shortening and 1/2 teaspoon Wilton No-Color
Butter Flavor for pure white icing and stiffer consistency.

Selene