[Sca-cooks] Harvest times

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu May 11 05:39:45 PDT 2006

Salvete

I'm working on a painted casket for my stuff and found an interesting early
13th century cycle of 'Month pictures', but I'm wondering about their
provenance. The thing is, they place haying in June, grain harvest in July,
threshing in August, which seems a bit early for Northern Europe. The vintage
is in October, which tends to be a bit cold and wet for that. Now, I'm not an
expert on Europe's microclimates, but I'm sure there will be one here. So I'm
wondering: does that generally square with Southern France or Northern Italy?
Or is it more Central France/Southern Rhineland? I know it's wrong for my
latitudes.

Grazie

Giano