[Sca-cooks] Harvest times

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri May 12 08:12:27 PDT 2006

Actually, no.  They used wheat.  Made a type of bread from it, grinding the
wheat in their coffee grinder.  Ma used a sourdough starter for it, and
added salt and saleratus. They twisted hay stalks, IIRC, into "sticks" for
fuel.  I remembered most of this (from somewhere in my PUFF file, no doubt),
but I'd point out that the "Long Winter" in the books was 1880, not 1881.
At least, according to my copy of _The Little House Cookbook_.
I also seem to recall that Almanzo and his brother, who were batching it
then, made buckwheat pancakes and served them with a syrup made from melted
brown sugar.  And ham/salt pork of some sort.
--Maire