[Sca-cooks] OT Laura IW was:Harvest times

Dianne & Greg Stucki goofy1 at suscom.net
Fri May 12 15:30:19 PDT 2006

> Perhaps she just misremembered the date.
> It was written about 40 years after the fact, IIRC.
> How many of us can recall which of the firt 10 winters of your
> life was the hardest/coldest without an almanac?
>
> More importantly, what did they cook for that hard winter?

Googling reveals that De Smet South Dakota was, indeed, hit by a severe
blizzard that dumped seven inches of snow on October 15 1880, the earliest
blizzard ever recorded in that area.

As I said, that was the year she met her husband to be, Almanzo, and the
weather figured largely in the beginning of their relationship.

Certainly she didn't remember every detail, but most of the basic facts are
true.

Laurensa