[Sca-cooks] Soup at feasts

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon May 15 09:23:44 PDT 2006

>one person  began to gripe [admittedly, mildly] about a lack of soup on my
>menu.
>
>As it happens, I did not add a soup to the menu, but Mistress Andrea  did
>add one to hers, for the dayboard. The gentle who had requested  it
>proceeded to show up late and almost missed it.
>
>Adamantius

I never served soup at my feasts, mainly because most of the time
my feasts fed several hundred people and the logistics of serving
soup never seemed to to warrant it when other dishes could be
done just as well. I've had soup but it always seemed rather hazardous.
Often a couple of people hauling around a large pot of hot liquid in
close quarters or something equally scary. There was one feast where
they went around with large pitchers and that seemed to work.

Now if I were serving from a kitchen or directly from a cooking area
it's not so bad. And I remember Atenveldt's War Practice Soup kitchen
with particular fondness. The only time I can remember serving soup
at one of my feasts was when we did the open kitchen at our Black
Oak Keep championships and served out of a huge iron cauldron on
the fire. That was fun.

I love soup though, I just shudder at figuring out how to serve it to
a large crowd.

Gunthar