[Sca-cooks] Soup at feasts

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue May 16 16:20:59 PDT 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 6:29 PM, K C Francis wrote:

> I love the soups served at feasts here in the West.  Just had the
> most incredible broth (served from a pitcher to each diner).  A
> cart with the big pot and ladle brought around the tables seems to
> work fine and keeps the drips contained therein.

I've done this. How many people are we talking about serving? Gunthar
has served upward of 500 at a time. I can see a potential for
logistical problems. My rationale for not adding it to my menu was
that I already had two stew-like meat-in-sauce dishes, which, to me,
between them and the frumenty, was plenty of pottages. And given that
medieval soups _are_ pottages, and not really soups as we know them
(for the most part), and my limited number of burners and rather
narrow time window for service, it seemed a much better idea not to
add a soup.

>   A thick soup also reduces any slopping when passing the bowls
> back.  I haven't encountered any problems and I don't see the
> concern.  Have you seen some bad spills or something?  I think a
> soup is a really good dish for a feast and miss it when there isn't
> one.

Hey, I love a good soup. It's just that the role they play in a
modern meal is either as a first course or as a lunch or "supper"
dish (note the etymological connection), whereas in a medieval sense,
they're just another pottage. Missing them when they're not there
could conceivably be the result of having modern expectations for a
medieval meal.

But then, I also didn't provide honey butter, and I'm sure people
missed that, too ;-).

Adamantius