[Sca-cooks] horse and marmots

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 16 21:53:44 PDT 2006

Phlip replied to Morgan with:
  <<<<
 > I've found guinea pig to be tasty as well.  My understanding is that
 > they were originally raised as food animals by the South American
 > indians.
 >
 > Morgan (using Caointiarn's addy, so don't blame her,,,,  : D  )

Never tried guinea pig, although I've heard the same thing. Did,
however, get
a request from Stefan, from a lady who wanted to know how to kill one
quickly
and painlessly, since he knows I butcher. Gave her my best advice,
since I'm familiar with the species, although not as food.

Well, I also forwarded it to you since I know you've done small
animals like rabbits and that you take care that the animals do not
suffer and that was one of this lady's concerns.

She actually replied to me before I saw Phlip's reply. Since I wasn't
sure if Phlip copied her on her reply or not, I went ahead and
forwarded it, just in case Phlip's reply added some additional
details useful to her. Here is what her message to me said:

====
Hello Stefan,

Thanks for responding. I pressed on, re-entered my Google search
prefixing it with 'guinea pigs' and found an excellent article on
raising them for meat, and how to kill and butcher them. It recommends
killing by 3 techniques: a strong blow at the base of the head and neck
with a pipe, by twisting and dislocating the neck, and by holding the
body of the animal in one hand, placing a thumb at the junction of head
and neck, then simultaneious stretching the body and pushing down with
the thumb. All techniques require some practice to perfect.

Two techniques come next: In the first, the hair of the cavies is
softened by immersion in hot but not boiling water, followed by
scraping. The abdomen is then opened and the animal is cleaned
conventionally. In the second technique the animal is killed and
immediately hung by its hind legs and the throat is cut and blood is
drained. The skin of the abdomen is pulled forward and slit with knife
or scissors. The animal is skinned conventionally and then cleaned. The
small intenstine is often cut up, washed, and boiled to eat. The heart,
kidneys and liver are relished.

Source: Echo Technical Note, by Dr Franklin Martin 'Guinea Pigs for Meat
Production', 1991.
====

Stefan
--------