[Sca-cooks] Adventures in Sausage Making

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 16 22:21:35 PDT 2006

Muiriath reported:

So I did a trial run to speak, see how all this works out.

    First thing, it takes alot longer to stuff the casing then I
expected.  Took me 10 minutes with an electric grinder/stuffer to do
1 12 inch test sausage.
<<<

That is a lot longer than I would expect. Perhaps it is the
equipment. Using the sausage stuffer on the mixers I seem to remember
doing them about ten times faster than that. However, had your
previously ground the meat? I think we might have ground the meat
first, then mixed in the spices and then stuffed it.

I think that the meat was ground too small
and that it might have been too warm. Not bad warm, just that I need
to keep it much cooler (almost freezing)
<<<

See this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium for a
number of details on making sausage:
sausage-makng-msg (36K)  4/20/05    Sausage making techniques. Supplies.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/sausage-makng-msg.html

    I cooked up my test link after pinching and twisting to try out
that step. Very easy.
<<<

Read the above file for some info on twisting vs. tieing the links.

    Cooking was a bit interesting. I must have had a few tiny holes
because the meat started to rupture the casing.  Mostly just looked
weird, tasted good.
<<<

I think the above mentioned file also has some comments about leaving
room in the tube for expansion. Or maybe it was don't leave some air
room. I can't remember. See the file. :-)

    All in all, more time consuming then I realized. The end result
just needs a little tweeking. Was good with just a plain dijon
mustard.  Will try another one tonight but put it on the BBQ
<<<

Outside BBQs are often better than inside broilers for some sausage.
I learned this when I had trouble with the released grease deciding
to burst into flame and burn when I first tried cooking fresh sausage
under the broiler in the oven. :-)

    BTW, they are English bangers.
<<<

Sounds a bit obscene. Can any of the British folks here tell us where
this name comes from? Somehow I don't think it is period.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com