[Sca-cooks] Porridge, tobacco

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu May 18 05:55:08 PDT 2006

> Let's see how you respond to the egg-white diet, the workouts, and so
> forth. Maybe people will start calling you Mother Time, too.
Nope...having to deal with the South Beach diet once again...seems it's
just about the best for diabetics.  I'm feeling a lot better about the
whole thing now after having met with a nurse practitioner yesterday who
specializes in the disease and controlling it.  Seems I'm doing
everything pretty much right.
> We all have that feeling occasionally. I worked  a feast last weekend
> where I physically could not have done all the work myself, even if I
> wanted to. That came as quite an eye-opener to me, and all the old
> saws about age and treachery overcoming youth and skill were much on
> my mind.
Yeah, I know.  The ME feast I did in February tired me out far more than
I would have expected...but it was the first one I've done in a couple
of years.

> It _was_ fun, though, telling one of the cooks that the water in the
> pot several feet away was just reaching 160 degrees, and watching him
> gasp when he took the temperature. It was such a basic thing that
> _looked_, externally, like a rather profound Kurosawa moment. He
> didn't have to know I was guessing and got lucky...
So you see...the age and treachery thing does work!  We may be
physically unable to do all the things the young folks can do, but we
have the wisdom to know the most efficient way to do it! (She said,
hopefully!!)

> And we all experience the occasional moment where we feel just too old
> to deal with this &%$#*. Rest assured, though, that it is not _you_
> who are getting too old.
Thanks for the kind words...

Kiri