[Sca-cooks] suggestions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu May 18 17:03:17 PDT 2006

  Lisabetta asked:
<<<
> I am doing a feast for an event in Oct...
>   So I have a month or two to finalize what I am going to do..
>
>   I am thinking a beef roast of some type, and a bake or roasted
> chicken..
>   Potatoes of some type
>   Maybe Greenbean almondean...

More details would help pin down what we can do to help you, better.
But for some general info and recipes on roasting beef and chicken,
see these files in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:
roast-meats-msg   (96K)  2/ 2/03    Hints and period recipes for beef
roasts.
roast-chicken-msg (39K)  8/31/00    Period and SCA baked or roasted
chicken.

What about roasting pork?
roast-pork-msg    (44K)  4/18/05    Cooking pork roasts. Medieval
recipes.

Some more files on meat which might be of interest:
Braised-Beef-art  (16K)  6/10/01    "Frankish Braised Beef - A Recipe
from
                                        Anthimus' De obseruatione
ciborum" by
                                        Lady Clotild of Soissons
Carbonadoes-art   (14K)  6/19/97    "Carbonadoes" by Adamantius. A
medieval
                                        "barbecued" meat dish.

Now if you, or someone in your group is real adventurous...
whole-pig-msg     (66K)  4/18/05    Info. on roasting a whole pig.
Experiences.

I would recommend dropping the potato idea. While possibly late in
period for some localities, most potatoes even then appear to be
sweet potatoes and not white potatoes. How about another starch?
turnips-msg       (62K)  1/17/05    Turnips in period. Recipes.
23-Ger-Mushrm-art (28K)  3/ 6/03    "Twenty-three German Mushroom
Recipes"
                                        by Anahita.
rice-msg          (83K)  5/ 4/04    Period rice. Recipes.
grains-msg        (82K)  3/28/06    Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
blancmange-msg    (17K)  9/ 7/04    A medieval rice dish composed
principally of
                                        rice, almond milk and chicken.

There are also a few files in the Florilegium on salads, soups and
desserts if you are thinking about offering any of those as well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com