[Sca-cooks] suggestions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 18 20:15:26 PDT 2006

Not exactly.  There is a letter from Wilhelm IV von Hessen to Christian I
von Sachsen describing the preparation of taratouphli and dated 1591,
wherein one finds the following recipe:

The preparation of Taratouphli (1591)

Translated by Thomas Gloning

"We also send to your Highness among other things a plant that we got from
Italy some years ago, called Taratouphli (.) Below, at the root, there hand
many tubers. If they are cooked these tubers are very good to eat. But you
must first boil them in water, so that the outer shell (peeling?) gets off,
then pour the cooking water away, and cook them to the point in butter."

In general, sweet potatoes (also called the common potato or the Spanish
potato) were more common in late period cooking.

Bear