[Sca-cooks] Sausages, we have a weinner (winner)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri May 19 15:44:43 PDT 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I thought the Polish word for sausage was Kielbasa...
>
> Huette

Maybe this is a phonetic rendering of a regional-dialect variant. For
example, the Poles in New York City mostly refer to stuffed cabbage
rolls as "galumpkes", with a hard "g" and a distinct "m" pronounced.
Elsewhere in the Southern Tier of New York State many people
pronounce this word as "halupkies". I can only imagine how this is
pronounced in Buffalo, i.e. in a third part of the state, but then
that's sort of my point...

Adamantius (who didn't have Huette in mind when he started writing
about Buffalo, but it may have been kismet)