[Sca-cooks] Faith and chellenges

tom.vincent at yahoo.com tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 14:21:13 PDT 2006

And you see those declarations as *good* things?!?

I mean, everybody's welcome to believe what they wish, but when overwhelming evidence is presented to the contrary of a belief (such as racial inferiority, age of the planet, human genetics, leadership by 'divine right', papal infallibility, female subservience, slavery, stoning children that misbehave, talking serpents, talking bushes, a global flood, a boat with all the planet's species, talking donkeys, floating iron, leaping fetuses, that pi is 3, etc) ... well, that's pretty much what education and the quest for knowledge is all about, isn't it?

Learning the truth about geology, biology, sociology, archaeology, astronomy, chemistry, physics?

Whenever someone urges me to accept something 'on faith', I grab a tight hold on my wallet because it's a sure bet that they want to control my money, my actions, my voice, my body and/or my mind.

Tom Vincent
When shall it be said in any country of the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance or distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes not oppressive; the rational world is my friend because I am friend of its happiness; when these things can be said, then may that country boast of its constitution and government.
-- Tom Paine