[Sca-cooks] OT: Faith and challenges

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue May 30 21:35:15 PDT 2006

For any consistent mathematical system complicated enough to do basic
arithmetic, there are statements that can not be proven true or false within
the the given mathematical system (paraphrasing Godel's Incompleteness
Theorem).  Similar self referencing contradictions appear in other fields.

For practical purposes, we make certain assumptions about these
contradictory statements and soldier on.  Thus faith, in its broadest
definition, is a part of all human endeavors.  As individuals, we accept the
"mysteries" of our selected bodies of knowledge to apply them to our
individual ends.  Faith encompasses divinity or the lack thereof, the
righteousness of dogma, the recitude of science, the reality of art, the
ability to persevere and all things human.  The principles one holds, the
basic truths, laws and assumptions that form the fabric of an individual's
universe, are the basis of faith.  To make choices based on those principles
is its exercise.

Bear