[Sca-cooks] Faith and chellenges

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Wed May 31 07:34:29 PDT 2006

I find Anne-Marie's grounding in beliefs about reserch sciences to be
refreshing, reassuring and similar to mine.  It is the "god gap" changes
that have given objective and humble researchers that sense of objective
uncertainty that leads to ongoing investigation of our world.  4 elements
led to the periodic chart of elelments along with the "smallest building
blocks of matter".  Then we found out that atoms have the absolutley
smallest particles ever: Protons, neutrons, and electrons.  Ooops . . ..
scientist weren't exactly right on that one either, no we have gluons, etc.

Science in my piece of consciousness is the cmommittment to ongoing
exploring and searching for explanations for out world and finding ways to
better explain things that happen and don't happen.  That definition has a
wide and rich acceptance of spiritual explanations for events and
non-events.  It also has a broad and rich accetance that any given 'law' on
any given day may be completely and inexplicably wrong (see quantum physics
versus Newtonian Physics).

This same structure of curiosity in my life extends to my culinary research,
both modern and historical.  What we all "know" today could up and change
tomorrow.  Vehling's Apicius was the gospel of roman cookery to some until
Flowers and Rosenbaum and their different perspective became more widely
known and became hearlded by more people as our most definitive treatment .
. . not THE definitive treatment to end all treatment forever amen just
becasue they are scientists who researched it.  It is not seperable in my
mind . . . either I have the professional curiosity to question things, or I
risk becoming too rigid and complacent in my acceptance of even the most
stringently held beliefs.

niccolo difrancesco
(who bypassed biblical argument as I find that a very narrow and dogmatic
discussion of a faith history rahter than of fiath and its living energy in
the world.  I see religion and sacred texts as only a part of expressions of
faith communities that do not include the living expressions by people
living their faiths on daily basis.  Bible isn't the living faith, but
humility and generosity in the name of one's faith are)