[Sca-cooks] back to food by request :) was Re: Faith and chellenges

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed May 31 12:25:37 PDT 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Ana Valdes wrote:

> My grandmother (she was Italian) made a succulent cauliflower gratin
> covered with a thick Bechamelsauce and a lot of cheese and nutmeg.
> It was really elegant, the nutmeg was a hit.
> Ana

I was going to suggest something similar. The French equivalent would
be Chouxfleurs (I think) Mornay en gratin. One of the cool things
about classical French cookery is its modularity; you can plug in
different elements as you wish. Start with a pint of medium-thin
bechamel/white sauce made with about 2 cups of milk, 1/4 cup each of
flour and butter made into a white or blonde roux, a small onion, a
clove or two, grated nutmeg to taste, etc. etc. Reduce a bit, turn
that into cream sauce by adding... cream. Reduce a little more, then
add grated cheese. Classically, for Mornay Sauce that would be
Parmagiano or Gruyere, but cheddar is good, too. Cut and blanch your
fleurs till just barely tender, drain well, spread in a baking dish
and top with sauce. Stir lightly to make sure all is covered...

The other big secret thingie is to use real bread crumbs from actual
bread, not those dry, beige, toasted crumbs from a can. Put these in
a pan with melted butter or good olive oil and toast them slowly
until they begin to brown, like a roux. Good additions are much
crushed garlic, black pepper, and chopped parsley after the crumbs
have been taken off the flame. Cheese would not hurt, but I think
we're treading close to the textbook definition of gilding the lily.
In this case, literally. Probably making the crumbs first and letting
them cool wouldn't be a bad thing...

Tops cheesy-sauced fleurs with crumbs, bake in a 375-degree oven for
around 25-40 minutes, or until brown on top and bubbly in the middle...

Adamantius