[Sca-cooks] back to food by request :) was Re: Faith and chellenges

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed May 31 14:40:16 PDT 2006

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

>on food
>
>ok, so I have a bunch of folks coming over and our recent CSA basket gave me a
>yummy cauliflower.
>
>anybody have a favorite collie gratin recipe? I have this vision of a creamy sauce
>with some sort of crunchy savory (parmasean/bread crumbs?) topping.
>
>any ideas? I know its not medieval but there's an amazing brain trust here...

Make a thick bechamel sauce, well seasoned with mace and cayenne
pepper.  Add some combination of sharp cheddar, Swiss, blue, Parmesan,
or other suitable cheese.  Don't stint on the cheese.

Stir a little melted butter and grated parmesan cheese into some bread
crumbs.

Cut cauliflower into chunks of the desired size.  Steam or microwave
with very little liquid until moderately done (not really crunchy, but
not soft either is ideal).  Drain _very_ thoroughly and put in some sort
of baking pan so that the cauli pieces are _one_ layer thick.  Top with
sauce and then crumbs.  Bake at 210c until nicely browned and bubbly.
Serve immediately.  Good with a sausage or two and a nice glass of beer.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?