[Sca-cooks] Farmer Cheese in STC, was sumthin' about faith and cellos...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed May 31 15:19:58 PDT 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 5:44 PM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> grizly wrote:
>
>> Not wishing to raise the spectre of orthodoxy of the STC, I am
>> also aligned
>> with the non-cheddar and non-farmer cheese options.
>>

> Can someone enlighten me on the nature of "farmer" cheese?

Around here, anyway, farmer cheese is a soft, drained curd cheese, a
little like cottage cheese drained and pressed into a very soft
brick. When unwrapped, from a distance it looks like a block of cream
cheese or feta, but when you spread it, its curdy nature becomes
evident, and it doesn't really melt in the sense that cheddar or
mozzarella melt. It gets soft, but that's about it.

I've heard of people using it for STC goo, but I don't get the sense
Digby intended anything like it, unless there's a different product
known as farmer cheese that is rather different from the stuff I'm
familiar with.

> And while I'm on the subject, I personally feel that Cheddar's
> tendancy
> to "oil out" makes it a bit less appealing than some other cheeses for
> toasting.

Actually, that's one of the reasons, I suspect, that that crafty old
devil Digby has you include the butter from cooked veg. It's a butter-
and-water emulsion. When you stir it as the cheese melts, it remains
a smooth emulsion -- if you've done it right.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04