[Sca-cooks] Documentation "Fun"

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Sun May 21 13:32:09 PDT 2006

> There are other approaches too. I've made several 'pavilions' with a
> dayshade frame and new cover (just finished one for a Viscountess
> friend of mine). I extend the roof peak and expand the slope on the
> sides- add a valance and some fringe and it will 'pass'. I've also
> been teaching classes in how to do it, and for many people it is an
> affordable, approachable way to add some verisimilitude to their game.
>
> 'Lainie

Agreed. I've seen enough nice looking tents made out of the garage shelters,
that I'm using one for my base for a combination smithing shelter/tent. If
you get the right ones, they're both more water resistant and fire resistant
than canvas is, for a roof, and by (slowly) making and dyeing and
fireproofing my own walls, and eventually a valance and roof cover, I'll have
something that looks decent, is very water-proof, as well as fire resistant,
breathes, and not only packs conveniently, but is very versatile in terms of
configuration. As it is, I can have it as one large 8' X 16' room, two 8' X
8' rooms, or as an 8' X 8' room with an open smithing shelter at the end, or
just an open rain shelter.

It's taking quite a while- I don't sew very well, and a lady who helped me
made a major mistake I need to correct, but it worked well emough last
Pennsic that I was able to camp in it last War and not only stayed dry, but
didn't hafta collect my tent from the Serengetti after one of our inevitable
windstorms ;-)

Still working on it. It's not very period, but it works. Lord knows, I'm
unlikely to ever have enough money to buy a real period shelter.

Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse, pretty
and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"