[Sca-cooks] Bread and wine in the Catholic church

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Sun May 21 14:32:31 PDT 2006

I am raised in a cloister, German nuns from Bavaria are not to joke with :(
One of the nuns was my old aunt, my uncle was professor at the same
school, all my elder female cousins were raised there.
My cousin is a bishop in the catholic church.
I met some of the nuns last year, when I was back for a short visit to
Montevideo.
They and my bishop cousin asked me, "Ah, Ana, how about your
practising catholicism today?".
I answered them "I am a freelance catholic today :)"
Ana, defending my right to choose to pick the things from Catholicism
I want and discard the others

On 5/21/06, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> On May 21, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Ysabeau wrote:
>
> > I can't remember the official name of it right now but it is the 7
> > month or
> > so long class that someone has to take in order to become Catholic.
> > You have
> > to attend these classes on a weekly basis and go through a bunch of
> > stuff so
> > you can eventually become a "Catholic" and get baptized at Easter.
> > Kids that
> > are born into the Catholic church are baptized as babies and then take
> > catechism and go through the sacraments as they get older. It is
> > different
> > when you want to become a Catholic as an adult...hence the
> > "assimilation"
> > classes. My apologies if that term offended anyone, my parents are
> > used to
> > my referencing them as such.
>
> I can only speak for myself, but I doubt if anyone was seriously
> offended. I was just curious about it, and it rather sounded as if
> you had some very mixed feelings on the subject.
>
> I was baptized as an infant just a few years before Vatican II, but
> my son went through something like what you're describing. I suspect
> that things vary by diocese.
>
> > As for stepping into the fray, anytime I ask a question it is
> > considered an
> > invitation to try to bring me back into the fold...being the only
> > non-practicing Catholic in a VERY Catholic family is not always fun.
>
> I can imagine. Those in my family who take it seriously consider me a
> heretic of some sort (think modified Pellagianism), but since it
> comes about as close to my basic belief system as an organized
> religion can get, I try to keep up on what I'm supposed to believe,
> anyway, even if I don't actually buy all of it ;-). I also try very
> hard not to cram my beliefs (my religious ones, anyway) on others.
>
> > Since
> > the question was answered satisfactorily, I'll leave it be.
>
> Yes, it really sounded, with all due respect, as if your mother
> wouldn't be the only partisan in any discussion you might initiate.
> Which is okay, just not really necessary ;-).
>
> Adamantius
>

> "Why don't they get new jobs if they're unhappy -- or go on Prozac?"
>     -- Susan Sheybani, assistant to Bush campaign spokesman Terry
> Holt, 07/29/04

"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' a part
limited in time and space.  He experiences himself, his thoughts and
feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical
delusion of his consciousness.  This delusion is a kind of prison for
us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few
persons nearest to us.  Our task must be to free ourselves from this
prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living
creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.  Nobody is able to
achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in
itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."
-- Albert Einstein