[Sca-cooks] Documentation "Fun"...was "Potatoes and personal issues"

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Sun May 21 20:34:11 PDT 2006

Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> [2006.05.21] wrote:
> I try not to to become boring, but it is my artistic goal to improve the
> general reputation of Historical Food as YUM not YUCK!  So I hand out
> samples and let that speak louder than words.  If a picture is worth a
> thousand words, how much is a slice of cake worth?  <smile>

At one feast a few years ago they specifically told us it would be
modern food (request of the departing Prince at a principality
coronation; I would have said yes, and then cooked period anyway; what
was he going to do?). Our shire then took a period banquet with us,
adding the items served that was compatible (I can report that camleine
sauce goes very well with traditional Swedish christmas ham), passing
samples up and down the table. Someone tried to finish the bowl of creme
boylede I prepared, but failed despite heroic attempts...

> For more good period tent advice, I recommend the Medieval Encampments
> mailing list.  Mostly SCA, some other historical re-creation groups in the
> US and Europe.  <MedievalEncampments at yahoo.com>  Including, may I add,
> painting on canvas, what kind of paint to use, etc.

I know, but there is barely time to take quick peaks in here these days.
Right now I *have* to get a paper written and some classes planned, so I
take the time to read and post some on SCA Cooks...

> > [1] http://www.hunter-gatherer.org/medcooking/kokbok/
>
> I am finding this a very interesting site and I don't actually read Swedish.
> But I'm getting by on cognates, numbers [200C is still 200C in any language]
> and Middle English.  Good work!

Basically it is intended for those that can not just cook from the
Middle English (but if you want one of them in English do ask). After my
last feast requests on our web boards  people wanted the recipies for
creme boylede, strawberryes, and egredouncye, and I pointed them to the
"cookbook". There is a pdf-file for those that want to print it out; I
want it to be possible to cook period food for a week at Double Wars or
even an entire feast, just from that cookbook.

/UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Renting airplanes is like renting sex:  It's difficult to arrange on short
notice on Saturday, the fun things always cost more, and someone's always
looking at their watch.		-- Paul Tomplin