[Sca-cooks] A few more words on lambs

Mark Hendershott crimlaw at jeffnet.org
Sun May 21 22:39:28 PDT 2006

At 10:30 PM 5/21/2006, you wrote:
> > Olivier de Serre, in "Theatre d'Agriculture et Mesnage des Champs" (1600)
> > mentions about lamb that they leave their mother around the month of April
> > (around 4-5 months old - page 319) and are castrated on the month of March
> > of their second year (around 15-16 months old - page 323).
>
>Ok, so you are saying that the lambs in that time and place were born in
>December-January?
>
>I'm collecting information on period sheepherding for a friend, and it's
>interesting to hear such a radical difference from our modern sheep, who
>give birth in February/March.
>
>--
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
>"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
>imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
>         -- Harry S. Truman
I see lambs in the fields here in Western Oregon as early as
mid-December.  I think based on what little I know about sheep
ranching, that this is in part because ranchers do what they can to
breed early to have lamb ready for market as early in spring as possible.

Simon Sinneghe
Briaroak, Summits, An Tir