[Sca-cooks] Dutch Oven Baking

tom.vincent at yahoo.com tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 07:48:39 PDT 2006

I know it's not particularly relevant to *period* dishes, but try to avoid tomatoes in a dutch oven -- or any cast iron cookware -- that isn't enameled.  The acidity tends to damage your seasoning.  I've had no problems with citrus, but then again I'm usually not using oranges or lemons in large enough quantities to create a sauce base. :)

Duriel

Tom Vincent
When shall it be said in any country of the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance or distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes not oppressive; the rational world is my friend because I am friend of its happiness; when these things can be said, then may that country boast of its constitution and government.
-- Tom Paine