[Sca-cooks] Rust removal

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon May 1 14:52:18 PDT 2006

> STUPENDOUS!  I did a google search for rust removal and Mr. Wizard .
> . . . found this website from a guy who does the same thing with old
> tools.
>
> http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/electrolysis.php
>
> The negative (black) goes to the "keeper" piece and the positive
> (red) goes to the sacrificial scrap piece.  He added some baking
> sode as a catalyst to speed up his electrolysis.  The following link
> has better description; boh have pictures.  This one uses "washing
> soda" which you can find in most markets.  Arm and Hammer is usually
> unscented and plain.
>
> https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/electrolysis/electrolysis.htm
>
> Use salt water, washing soda (sodium carbonate . . . NOT baking soda)
>  and a piece of wrinkled aluminum foil to clean silver pieces.
>  Immerse all and put silver in touch with the foil . . . no
> electrodes needed.  Silver Plate isn't so helpful, but sterling
> cleans with zero effort.
>
> nioccolo difrancesco

Well, I'm getting very nervous about amateurs using power tools, particularly
when they're being used for purposes they weren't originally intended for.
Your average person can use a drill to drill holes in a piece without a
problem, but when you use it as a rotary tool like a grinder, you're looking
for trouble. It's almost as familiar as a drill, and often people don't
realize that none of the safety shields are in place. Bits of wire flying off
a wire brush can do heavy damage, that a leather apron and the usual plastic
shield on a bench grinder can protect you from, for example. At least with
the electrolysis set up, the user is aware they're using an unfamiliar tool,
and will be more careful.

Phlip, who yesterday was highly entertained by Rob, who misdirected the
sparks from something he was grinding, and set his crotch on fire. Burned
through his sweatshirt, his sweat pants, and his bdu shorts, finally stopping
at his (fortunately) cotton undershorts.