[Sca-cooks] Rust removal

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 1 20:15:57 PDT 2006

Selene Colfox asked:

> Which reminded me:  what do the members of this august company prefer
> for rust removal from cast iron?  My mother just gave me her old
> ableskiver pan and it's awfully rusty.  This is going to be difficult.
>  I'm hesitant to dive in with chemical rust removers because then the
> trick is to remove the remover before using the pan for actual food
> without chemicals.  You see the quandry.
>
> In the meantime, I'm going out to get a wire brush that will attach to
> my power drill, that may save some elbow grease anyway.

I would be a bit leery of using the metal brushes because you may end
up with scratches which will trap stuff you don't want to trap,
although I imagine that as the iron ages, these imperfections will
fill in.

However, I would recommend listening to folks who are more expert at
this than I.
See this file in the Florilegium:
iron-pot-care-msg (26K)  3/26/05    Seasoning and caring for iron
pots and
                                        skillets.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/iron-pot-care-msg.html

Oh, and what is an "ableskiver" pan?