[Sca-cooks] dynamite Jewish dessert - dairy - OOP

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue May 2 00:08:53 PDT 2006

Adamantius wrote:
>On May 1, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Devra at aol.com wrote:
>  >         I don't want to be a spoon tease..
>  >
>  >      Chocolate Cream Roll (Passover) -originally published in the
>  > World Telegram & Sun/Herald Tribune, about 43 years ago
>
>Interesting! I note that the flourless cake is apparently a lot older
>than some people think, but then, even chocolate does have a little
>bit of starchy/grainy/binding quality. This is not too far from a
>chocolate Pavlova (except for the yolks, but they're treated so as to
>give a fairly similar effect).

My mom used to make something very like this, only without coffee,
the whipped cream filling was just good whipped cream, and the
"frosting" was butter, unsweetened chocolate, sugar, vanilla, and
probably a tiny pinch of salt, cooked down... not quite to fudge.

She was making it longer ago than 43 years. I don't know where she
got the recipe... the Settlement House Cookbook, maybe? That
flourless chocolate cake is very Mittl European. One side of my mom's
family was Austro-Hungarian. But I don't claim my mom learned it from
her grandmother Josephine.

Perhaps the best bakery in California, or maybe even West of the
Mississippi makes a larger cake, they call Pave Vergiate, that is a
flourless chocolate cake... and the owner is Hungarian

And, oh. muh. gawd... i don't like sweets, you've all heard me
protest, but i get a pastry there 3 times a month. It's called Crixa.
They don't over-sweeten their things and it's all real, anything
fruit flavored is made with real fruit, not just flavoring. They use
real butter and real cream... unlike too many modern bakeries, who
purchase and prepare Giganto-Sack-o-Brownie or Giganto-Sack-o-Cake...
so that it all tastes the same no matter where you shop.

Sigh...

Anyway, Crixa has a website:
http://www.crixacakes.com

I eat things there that i'd NEVER normally eat cuz it's all fabulous.
They have one little delight called Florio that is topped with dried
rose petals and has rosewater in it. Here's the description from the
site:
Almond meringue with raspberry eu de vie, rose flavored creme
mousseline and crushed amorretti.

Now look what you've made me write about... gotta go get something
there tomorrow. They're looking for a pastry chef, if anyone here
wants to move to the SF Bay Area...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita