[Sca-cooks] Re: custard pie ratios

Celia des Archier celiadesarchier at cox.net
Fri May 5 22:44:42 PDT 2006

I'm coming into the middle of this conversation, and I apologize if this has
already been mentioned, but I was taught that the key to preventing a soggy
pie bottom on a custard pie was a) to make sure that the pie crust was well
chilled before putting it into the oven and b) to begin with a very hot
oven, and then to decrease the temperature after the crust has set.  It can
also be helpful to freeze your pie crust ahead of time to prevent it
over-baking.  I've had success using frozen pie crusts for custard pies.

I do know that you can partially bake the pie crust ahead of time, but I've
never done that.  It's always worked for me to just make sure that my crust
was frozen or chilled and that my filling was also chilled, and then to
start it in a 400 degree oven, then turn the oven down and shield the edges
of the crust with aluminum foil for the remainder of the bake time.  Those
are probably pretty basic tricks for most of you, but it's just how my
country cook Mom taught me to get the best pie crust.

Sorry if this is repetitive.
Celia