[Sca-cooks] Re: alfajores/al-hasu

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat May 6 12:20:20 PDT 2006

Oops I have a typo here, my apologies. I guess I am too wrapped up with
Ziryab:

"These are cookies with filling of Arab origin. In Spain they date
back to the *8th* Century."

 From what I can find so far is that they are first documented in the
*14th* C. as a spice for hippocras (which makes no sense to me). The
next mention is that the Duke of Medina Sidonia in 1487 asked the Mayor
and City Council of Medina Sidonia to send some to the king and queen at
their military camp in Malaga. They are mentioned again in Dr. Andres de
Leon's "Practica del Morbo Galico" in 1605 and as Robin Carroll-Mann
points out there are obviously other references which I cannot lay my
hands on so far. Curious Granado has no recipe for them as far as I can
see. The pith of the matter is that Benavides does not cite his sources.
Here he says: 'every Andalus place has a different recipe for this
reason here is the most ancient' and he goes on to give it with NO nuts,
which is driving me nuts! I am missing the Manual de las Mujeres in my
research material, splendid info that there is a alfajores recipe there
but as you see it contains nuts! Shall get a hold of a copy as soon as I
get to Madrid but I have to give the talk and complete the alfajores
recipe for the chef tomorrow without almonds or any other nuts or the
Cultural Center will chop off my head :-! .
Cheers,
Sue

From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius": ...somebody's estimation of when anything found in Spain, introduced by the Moors, showed up...