[Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 07:34:05 PDT 2006

Bertha wrote:

>Personally I detest the current trend in spicing up practically everything!  Not only do I feel it simply disguises the taste of the food you are eating and all you can taste is the hot spice but I happen to be allergic to capsaicin. Makes me wonder how many other folk have the same feelings/problelm that I have?
>Bertha

Ms. Huette is allergic to capsaicin.  I'm not allergic, just kind of a
hot pepper wimp.  We like pleasantly spiced food, just not over spiced.
 The chili heads don't really run the world!

The good news here is that Long Pepper has no capsaicin, since it is not
a relative of the New World capsicum pepper.  Nor does the familiar
black peppercorn, malagueta pepper ["grains of paradise"] Szechwan
peppercorn nor nigella seed.  That last probably shouldn't be lumped
here because its unique flavor is rather mild, but it's a little black
seed so there's a visual similarity.

Here's to a life with enough spice to be interesting but not enough to
be painful!

Best, Selene Colfox