[Sca-cooks] 14th Century Food Imports

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 08:39:01 PDT 2006

Mille grazie, Signore Bear,

  And double that for the link and additional comments.  I'm the veriest beginner at this and didn't know/wouldn't have been looking for the two trade routes...  Cool text.  "Irregularities" being practiced against Franks during Tatar? interregnum particularly caught my eye, as did the bit about bringing along a woman (any woman will do), for "comfort."

  Thanks,
  Judith

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
  La practica della mercatura by Francesco Balducci Pegolotti in the first
half of the 14th Century. A partial text is available at
http://depts.washington.edu/uwch/silkroad/texts/pegol.html . A full version
of the manuscript text was published in 1936 under the titel La practica
dell mercatura edited by Allen Evans.

Pegolotti was a factor for the Florentine merchants Bardi. While he does
give instructions for a trip to Cathay, it is by the Steppes route to
Beijing rather than on the main silk road and it actually for the reign of
Kublia Khan rather than Kublia's successors, if I have all of the facts
right.

The goods mentioned are for everything entering the region of Constantinople
from all sources and not just that from the China trade.

Bear