Avocados. was Re: [Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 12:27:09 PDT 2006

Well, I don't cook anything that I can't eat, so I hope that your family appreciates your
sacrifice for them.

As for avocados, I used to think the same thing, until I realized that the neighbor's tree
that hangs well over our fence is an avocado tree.  When I pick them and ripen them properly,
they don't have that feel for me anymore.  But if I let them overripen, they get that same
taste you describe.  If you are getting them from your market, it is very possible that they
are too old and overripe.  I don't know where you live or if you have a source available to
get fresh off-the-tree avocados.  If you do, they get fresh ones and put them in a paper bag
on your counter [not in the fridge] and wait until the just start getting soft and eat them
then.  It is also possible that there is a different taste from the different varieties.
Most markets sell Hass avocados.  The ones I get off the tree are Fuertes.  Now I have become
a big fan of avocados.

I make a very tasty guacamole using mayo, and chopped tomatoes and onions.  No peppers in my
guacamole.

Huette