Chivalry and Supporting your Local Monarch RE: [Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Tue May 9 12:59:10 PDT 2006

So, would committing a non-criminal attrocity on an unsuspecting and
defenseless person, to please one's King . . . be unchivalrous?  It's those
vague, vacuous prot-definitions of "chivalrous" that are the bedrock of SCA
political correctness.  Give me something I can hang my hat on, like
Courage, Loyalty, Fidelity, Trustworthy, Courtesy, Generosity, Gentleness,
Compassion Ingenuity, or Love.  Yeah, these have meat you can chew on . . .
and are all parts of what I consider modern Chivarly for my little world
view.  All with the big letters . . . not holding a door for someone running
up to it is not what I mean by Courtesy, though that could be part if it.
don't tell me someone is unchivarlous; that's a buzz word . . . to my he/she
was being cowardly, or disloyal to an oath, or mean-spirited to someone
unable to defend themselves, or dumb as a bag of squirrels.  That we can all
rally behind.

Kinda like "period".  If we all sufficiently avoid actually defining it,
then we can all use it to our own advantage and make it mean pert near
_anything_.

niccolo difrancesco