[Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue May 9 21:36:08 PDT 2006

Geez, guys, why not make your *own* blend, to suit? I've got a really meager
ethnic cookbook collection, and even so, I've *still* got more recipes for
curry blends than I know what to do with.....
Personally, having read through a lot of this thread (talkative list
today!), I have a mild-to-moderate Scoville tolerance--I enjoy spicy foods,
but don't like the straight peppers much warmer than an Anaheim.  I adore
spicy curries (East Indian OR Thai).  Heck, I have a cat named Curry (she
used to sneak the curry "gravy" from my dish as a kitten).  And I like
cilantro.  A LOT.  (sorry, Lainie, if I just blew my image as a Rational
Human Being).  The first time I encountered cilantro, I picked up on the
same taste that others describe as "soapy," and thought, eeuuw, I don't like
this, but really, it was just a fairly strong, completely unfamiliar flavor.
After my initial exposure to it (at an SCA event), I came across it a few
times in a good salsa, and in Thai food, and found myself really enjoying it
in some dishes.  It still has a strong flavor, but I like it.  I figured it
was more a matter of getting my palate acquainted with something new.
My favorite curry-serving restaurant is in Dublin....*sigh*....and almost
worth the 1000s of miles travel to get a chance to go back.  What I
particularly enjoyed was the variety--some sweet, some warm, some "bright"
with things like citrus...mmmm....Gotta love international cuisines.....
--Maire