[Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue May 9 21:28:43 PDT 2006

> I'm not sure why, but there seems to be quite a difference in how people who
> like hot spices, and those who don't approach spicing. My roommate, like you,
> avoids capsaicin (although she's not allergic), and periodically attempts to
> spice something to my liking. She usually fails, other than to make it hot,
> because she doesn't understand the subtleties, and the (quoting Chef Paul)
> Roundness of flavor I'm looking for.

Well, unfortunately, I generally don't get 'roundness' of flavor in
capsicum-flavored stuff myself, so even though I'm a very enthusiast
spicer, most capsicum-flavorers don't get things spiced enough to my
taste.

> almost any bit of bell pepper, anise, or fennel in a dish gives the dish an

For instance, I find that a bit of anise tends to round out the
sweetness of a dish for those who can tolerate it, which is interesting
when it comes to using aniseed in mustards and other hot-sweet dishes.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman