[Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Wed May 10 01:56:56 PDT 2006

>My father has an unusual condition wherein he has lost fine taste sensation.
>He only tastes very strong and intense flavors.  so, he likes the bigger
>flavors.  I suspect that there are some out there who cannot actually sense
>the fine distinctions in flavor of fresh herbs and the varieties of
>cinnamon/cassia and reach for <<insert stereotypical condiment here>> to
>please their palets.  Ketchhup or salt is just as overpowering as capsaicin,
>just not as likely to blister the innards.
>
>niccolo

Something I read, many years ago, explained some of this. Taste buds
are different in intensity. I had never thought about that. About 50%
of people taste salt, sugar, sweet, etc., pretty much the same.
Another 25% need more to taste them: these are the people who eat
jalapenas straight, etc. The other 25% are more sensitive:
death-by-chocolate is too sweet, peppers are too hot, grapefruit is
too sour, etc. I am _way_ over into the more sensitive I discovered
from that. I make a white chocolate cheesecake that others love, that
is too rich for me (G).

Which is why I avoid pepper, hot curries, etc. But it was interesting
to find out why...

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, OP
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West
Per saltire gules and sable, in pale two mullets and
in fess an increscent	 and a decrescent argent.

"Springtime returned... Woods were tinged with a colour
so soft, so subtle that it could scarcely be said to be a
colour at all. It was more the idea of a colour -- as if the
trees were dreaming green dreams or thinking green thoughts."
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell