[Sca-cooks] OOP-Buttercream Frosting

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 16:09:51 PDT 2006

If there is one thing that I absolutely hate is the taste of a crisco frosting.  Blech!!!!
And to have the audacity to call it "buttercream" is like a bait and switch scheme, IMHO.

Here is a good, real buttercream recipe:

VANILLA BUTTERCREAM

4 large egg whites at room temperature for 30 minutes
Rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup water
1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces and softened
2 teaspoons vanilla

Special equipment: a candy thermometer

Combine whites and salt in a very large bowl. Stir together water and 1 1/3 cups
sugar in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan until sugar is dissolved, then bring to
a boil over moderate heat, without stirring, brushing any sugar crystals down side
of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water.

When syrup reaches a boil, start beating egg whites with an electric mixer at
medium-high speed until frothy, then gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons
sugar and beat at medium speed until whites just hold soft peaks. (Do not beat
again until sugar syrup is ready.)

Meanwhile, put thermometer into sugar syrup and continue boiling until syrup
registers 238 to 242°F. Immediately remove from heat and, with mixer at high
speed, slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream down side of bowl into whites,
beating constantly. Beat, scraping down side of bowl with a rubber spatula,
until meringue is cool to the touch, about 10 minutes in a standing mixer or
15 with a handheld. (It is important that meringue is properly cooled before
proceeding.)

With mixer at medium speed, gradually add butter 1 piece at a time, beating
well after each addition until incorporated. (Buttercream will look soupy after
some butter is added if meringue is still warm. If so, briefly chill bottom of
bowl in a large bowl filled with ice water for a few seconds before continuing
to beat in remaining butter.) Continue beating until buttercream is smooth.
(Mixture may look curdled before all of butter is added but will come back
together by the time beating is finished.) Add vanilla and beat 1 minute more.

• Buttercream can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered, or frozen 1 month.
Bring to room temperature (this may take up to 3 hours; do not use a microwave)
and beat with an electric mixer before using.

• The egg whites in this recipe are not cooked. If salmonella is a problem in
your area, you can use reconstituted powdered egg whites such as Just Whites.

Huette