[Sca-cooks] Harvest times

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 11 05:45:00 PDT 2006

In Slovenia at the Bishop's Palace in Škofja Loka there
are copies and originals of medieval panels and/or frescos featuring a
medieval peasants engaged in a number of activities. These
aren't arranged by the month; rather most are connected to a theme of
"Things or activities that one isn't supposed to do on a Sunday."
One of the scenes indicates that one shouldn't thresh wheat
while naked. (The ladies harvesting were topless.)
The Dominion of Skofja Loka (973-1803) was under the rule of the
Freising Bishops of Bavaria so your search
might extend into the Balkans.
Slovenian spelling and the internet
is always interesting, but I finally located a picture.
http://www.slovenia.no/Museene/m_loski_muzej.htm
shows a version of it.
There's also a version at the National Ethnology Museum in Ljubljana too.

Johnnae