[Sca-cooks] Harvest times

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri May 12 07:17:53 PDT 2006

At 06:48 AM 5/12/2006, you wrote:

>IIRC, it was actually the year she met Almanzo, and she was about...I want
>to say fifteen....but anyway, you tend to remember that year. Now I have
>to go do some research..
>
>And they cooked corn. And they burned the husks for fuel.
>
>Laurensa

Laura was born in 1867 (I know a few LIW factoids, mostly because I was
named after her) so that may have been '81-82 rather than '80-81. That was
the year that Almanzo Wilder and Cap Garland made the wild run out for food
for the town. Likely saved a few lives.

Carrie Ingalls' health was never the same after that winter. And you can
get a bit of the sense of desperation, when Pa Ingalls mooched seed wheat
off of the Wilder boys. You NEVER eat your seed.

The train (and the supplies) came through in May. Why they hadn't
off-loaded the train and brought things out by wagon, I'm not sure. I don't
currently own copies of the books so I can't look it up.

Have to say about _The Long Winter_- don't ever read it if you're feeling
depressed. It's a soul-sapping book.

'Lainie