[Sca-cooks] grape stomping

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun May 14 02:05:31 PDT 2006

Am Sonntag, 14. Mai 2006 09:21 schrieb Stefan li Rous:

> I know today that machinery is probably used almost everywhere to get
> the juice from grapes for making wine. Was the juice actually
> extracted from the grapes, in period or "traditionally" actually done
> by filling vats with the grapes and then by people climbing into the
> vats and stomping on the grapes?

AFAIK the extraction was a two-step process: First, the grapes were put into
the vat and stomped. In the process, they would be turned into a gooey pulp
rather than discrete units. The juice flowing out at this stage would not be
a large quantity, but made the choicest wine. In stage two, the pulp was
placed in a wine press and sueezed. That created much more juice, but of a
somewhat lower quality. Finally, the squeezed pulp would be watered, creating
the base for the lowest quality wine.

There is a winery in South Germany where they still do the stomping. It is
part of an annual harvest festival, Roman-style, and the wine thus made is
sold mostly to local enthusiasts. I'll have to check if I can find the
address, it was on TV a few years ago.

Giano