[Sca-cooks] Harvest times

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun May 14 05:22:05 PDT 2006

On May 14, 2006, at 12:38 AM, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>> I  remember the story of the death of one of his brothers, and
>> much more  pleasantly, the story of Frank's first Communion, and
>> how he, in his  excitement, threw up the Body and Blood Of Christ
>> in his  grandmother's side yard...
>
> I haven't read the book, nor am I a Catholic, but I was under the
> impression that Catholic laity are not given the wine during
> communion.

I don't know if it's a Vatican II thing or not, but it appears to be
at the discretion of the parish or the priest, or some other local
functionary. My own church doesn't always offer the sacrament in both
species, as the expression goes, but they do quite frequently.

Now that I think about it, though, you're right: I believe Frank only
throws up the Body of Christ in his grandmother's side yard, setting
in motion much sturm und drang. It's actually pretty hilarious, the
juxtaposition of this supposed sacrilege (purely both accidental and
incidental) with the real crux, of the grandmother's reaction and the
extraordinary measures she's prepared to take to erase/exorcise said
sacrilege, well beyond the recommendation of the local parish priest
("just wash it away with a little water, don't worry about it, and
stop bothering me with silly questions"). Upon which, of course, the
grandmother vents her righteous anger on that "ignorant bog-trotter"
sitting in the rectory, calling himself a priest.

This is just another in a series of tirades we get to see from the
grandmother, who is forever grousing about something, ranging from
ignorant bog-trotting priest to Franks odd manner to his North of
Ireland hair that refuses to stay down when spat upon and combed...

But we digress ;-)

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04