[Sca-cooks] Harvest times

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun May 14 15:37:04 PDT 2006

Bear commented:

If memory serves, 1881 was a relatively mild winter.
<<<

Wow. I knew you were a bit older than me. I just didn't realize you
were that old. :-) I've always been amazed at your memory for
details. Even more so, now.

The really nasty one
was "The Big Die of '86, that essentially killed the free range cattle
industry.  Some of the Worst blizzards on record are those of 1885-86
and 1886-87.
<<<

I had always heard it was the invention of barbed wire and the
increased use of fences across the American plains.  I did pick up a
few books about ranching history and vanqueros at yesterday's UT Book
Sale and in previous years. I guess I'll have to find the time to
delve into some of these.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas