[Sca-cooks] horse and marmots

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon May 15 07:42:20 PDT 2006

> Stefan asks about horsemeat in the US...
>
> Personally I'm only interested in ingesting meat that is either USDA
> approved, or else raised where I could see it ;). You  may be able to
> buy horsemeat in the US, but I'm afraid my micro degree makes me a
> bit more picky about my food than I probably need to be ;).
>
> (no, I don't eat hunted meat either for the same reason...more elk
> for you! ;))
>
> as for what a marmot is, they're like big groundhogs.
> http://www.marmotburrow.ucla.edu/
>
> there was a colony of yellow bellied marmots down the hill from my
> apt in college in Pullman, WA :)
>
> --AM

Actually, unless rules have totally changed, you CAN get horsemeat in the US,
USDA approved and all that, but it IS pretty hard to come by. It's very
similar to beef, but generally a bit lighter colored in younger animals, so
older animals are preferred for slaughter. Meat is rather sweetish, compared
to beef.

As to marmots, groundhogs ARE marmots. Young ones are very tasty barbecued,
and the older ones are best stewed. However, neither is particular edible if
you don't clean them properly and remove certain glands.

Phlip