[Sca-cooks] Porridge, tobacco

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu May 18 07:23:25 PDT 2006

>Hmmm. Don't oils oxidize into plastics?

nah, that's polymerization, not oxidation.
Oils may spontaneously polymerize to some extent, but
usually they require a chemical agent or catalyst to
do that.
Mostly what you see when an oil gets "sticky" is the longer
hydrocarbon chains that are less volatile, and therefore
remain after the lighter components evaporate off.

Hmmm... as far as True plastics go...

IF you separates the Milk protein casein and added
formaldehyde, you would create an early type of plastic.
While both milk and formaldehyde are period, the combination
in this way are not. This plastic was not discovered until
the 1840's (in France).

>Does it matter if it's petroleum or suet?

Well, I dont see Dick Clark being chased by hoards of
squirrels and woodpeckers, so suet is out...

However, I never thought that Dick Clark was plastic, but
that he has a picture of himself in an attic that aged on
his behalf somewhere.

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue