[Sca-cooks] Getting old...

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu May 18 13:03:04 PDT 2006

> Of course, she is slowing down, but that is just a matter of pacing
> herself. She isn't a fool. If I lived in the same city with her, I
> would probably feel like a sluggard. Not that I have slowed up too
> much. Biggest problem is my lower back, that goes out on me. Starting
> a new program in July with a rehab/doctor team that is exercises,
> stretching and weight lifting that will hopefully get me back to
> better than before. (if anyone is personally interested, contact me
> offline and I will let you know how it goes.)

Can't tell you how highly I recommend physical therapy and strength training.
Was your age, or maybe a bit younger when I went through it, and it got me
almost completely away from all the heavy pain pills I had been doing by
necessity (went from basicly open scrip on Tylenol 3 and Flexeril to
occasional usage of ibuprophen- no T3 in several years, Halleliuyah) and back
to normal living. Still have times when things hurt, and the only reason I'm
not limping is because both legs hurt so there's no point ;-), but over all
I'm back to most of my normal activities, meaning I can now do anything, just
hafta be careful how much I do at a time. Was a combination of the results of
dislocating one knee cap baling hay (other one I had dropped a motorcycle on
some time before), a head on collision, with a lovely case of whiplash, and a
lovely one point landing off the back of a 2 year old Arab stud colt that
dislocated my sacrum- Oh, my achy breaky joints ;-P So, I have good reason to
be a bit sore. But, thanks to an MD and a Chiropractor who both knew their
jobs, and were willing to work together.

Been wanting to get back into the strength and flexibility training, and my
roommates got themselves a Bowflex, so I'll be back to doing that, once they
figure out how it goes together- really looking forward to it ;-)

> So, I guess I would agree with the general gist of the posts on this
> thread. Getting old, though it does bring some physical limitations,
> is largely a frame of mind. My mother claims she can't be in her
> second childhood, she never left the first. I can accept that.
>
> Aoghann

I think your mother and I are related. WHAT mid life crisis? I'm not finished
with adolescence yet! And, lemme get back to working out, and let's watch a
few more physical limitations get stretched, along with my joints ;-)

Phlip

Getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse, pretty
and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"