potatoes and personal "issues" ; )....was RE: [Sca-cooks] suggestions

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Thu May 18 19:52:32 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
This depends of course by when one dates the Renaissance.
Are you dating it as 1300 or later, as in the 15th century?
Or are you dating it as the modern age of the 16th century?
I think most historians would suggest that 1500 is the start of the modern
period.>>>

*This is true. I was thinking of the 1500s.

<<Potatoes (non-sweet) are at best post mid-late 16th century. Maybe Ireland
right around the turn of 1600. (They are mentioned in a lease
dated 1606 in Ireland.) Were they commonly eaten? No. So One has to ask:
Is this a menu for Ireland of 1606? Or Germany using those sources that
possibly
mention potatoes? Is it problematic to serve them in the SCA? Yes!>>>

*what I had stated under "suggestions",
"Potatoes are late period (meaning SCA period) in specific areas (not
everyone knew of them) with only one source to my knowledge of reference to
how they were cooked (my source is John Gerard) but no recipes to date."

Lyse