[Sca-cooks] Lisabetta's feast was suggestions

Lonnie D. Harvel aoghann at gmail.com
Thu May 18 21:11:24 PDT 2006

Adding some recipes and some suggestions/changes:

http://www.loggiaserena.com/SCACookingPages/MidWinter2005/GoodBeef.htm

http://www.loggiaserena.com/SCACookingPages/Condiments.htm
http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/Mustards.html

> -Lentils with bacon
Not fond of this one myself. Perhaps I have used the wrong lentils?

I would suggest Mushrooms sauteed in butter and a green salat.
> -Bread for trenchers
> -Assorted nuts and fruits (pears, plums).>>
>
> (Lyse) This sounds good. :) Could two sauces be provided? How about a bit of
> cheese with the fruit and nuts?
>
> <<2nd course:
>
> -Roast chicken
Recipe below

> -Plum sauce (the period ones, obviously...)
yum

> -Pureed root parsley
I like pureed parsley.
As an alternative I have a recipe below that works well with carrots
or parsnips, or a combination of both. It also works well with turnip
thrown in.

> -Apple pie>>
I like my apples without the crust, stuffed with raisins, nuts, honey,
and wine. Bake.

The following recipes were created for a 9th century Danelaw feast.
They were created, not redacted, since no extant recipe collections
exist from which to work. For all of the recipes, a batch serves 8,
the feast serves 80 (or more)

Apple Salad

		      batch	feast
Lettuce	oz	       8	80
Apples	each	2	20
Salt	             t	1	10
Spinach	    oz	8	80
Oil	            T	4	40
Honey	 cups	1/4	2.5
Celery seed	t	1	10
Apple cider
vinegar	     T	4	40

Tear lettuce and spinach, toss together. Wash and slice apples. Mix
dressing. Pour over salad just before serving, toss.

Grilled Chicken

		                                    batch	feast
chicken leg quarters	       each	2	20
chicken breaste quarters	each	2	20
salt	                                         t	3	30
cloves	                                  t	0.25	2.5
oil	                                        T	6	60
honey	                            cups	0.25	2.5
cinnamon	                           t	0.5	5
apple cider vinegar	                   T	4	40

Mix sauce. Baste chicken with it and grill. Baste occaisionally as
sauce holds out. You can leave out the honey if you don't want the
sweet.

Glazed Carrots

		                  batch	feast
Salt	                     t	1	10
Carrots            	lbs	2	20
Honey	              cup	0.5	5
Cinnamon	       t	0.75	7.5
Apple cider vinegar	T	3	30

Cut carrots. Boil till just tender. Mix remaining ingredients. Add to
carrots and warm through.