[Sca-cooks] suggestions

tom.vincent at yahoo.com tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Fri May 19 10:33:40 PDT 2006

Okay, I think we've already settled that calling something 'Virginia-xxx' doesn't mean it's from Virginia...or have anything to do with Virginia.   :)

Also, some sweet potato varieties grow all the way up to MA, but I doubt that was true during the LIA, so it's possible that someone in the VA area actually did have sweet potatoes.

Potatoes came from the Andes.  I don't think the *modern* varieties are relevant when looking at where Europeans encountered potatoes.  Since potatoes didn't catch on very quickly, it may very well have taken several Drakes & Raleighs totin' taters for the tuber to take root, so to speak. :)

I'm suspicious of a log entry that talks about 'two very fat sheep' when the natives probably were using alpacas.

It's hard to know what Ol' Billy was talking about, since the term 'potato' was used for 'sweet potato' and probably yams, too.
http://www.bartleby.com/65/po/potato.html

Duriel

Tom Vincent
When shall it be said in any country of the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance or distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes not oppressive; the rational world is my friend because I am friend of its happiness; when these things can be said, then may that country boast of its constitution and government.
-- Tom Paine